TECH TIP: How To Import X7 Scan Data Into Trimble Realworks
Problem: You have finished your scan project with the Trimble X7 Scanner and now need to get your scan data from the FieldLink software to the Trimble Realworks software to do some cleanup and use some of the modeling and analytical tools.
Solution: This tech tip will take you step by step and show you the easiest way to export your scan data from the Fieldlink and import it into Realworks
Note: If you have not done so already, it is best to refine your scan data before exporting. This will save time during the export process to do this separately. Simply, go to the SCAN tab at the top of the screen and click REFINE. On the REFINE screen, click the REFINE button at the bottom of the screen to begin this process. Your first steps will come from your tablet using the FieldLink software. With your project open in FieldLink, click on the SCAN tab at the top and then select EXPORT.
1.) Your first steps will come from your tablet using the FieldLink software. With your project open in FieldLink, click on the SCAN tab at the top and then select EXPORT.
2.) You will now be taken to the EXPORT screen. Here, you will select the type of project you need to export. In this Tech Tip, we are going to show you the TDX project format.
A.) TDX stands for Trimble Data Exchange. This format can be imported into several Trimble software products. It is usually pretty quick to export and imports easily.
- Select the “Pop-Up” menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Select TDX as your export format.
3.) Next, if you took images during your scanning process and have not colorized your point cloud yet, then you will want to check the “Colorize Point Clouds” check box. However, this is not required but a good time to go ahead and colorize if needed.
4.) Next, click on the Pencil/Paper button and give your export a new name or except the default naming.
A) Also, in the pencil/paper screen you can change where you want to export the project to. (Thumb drive, Trimble Connect, or a different folder on your tablet)
B) By default the TDX project will be exported to the Documents/FieldLink/Exports folder
- Lastly, click the EXPORT button to begin the export process
5.) Once the export has finished you can either remove the thumb drive it exported to or find the export through the Windows explorer folder on the desktop of the tablet. Again, here you will navigate to the Documents/FieldLink/Exports folder.
- Now you can copy/paste the project folder containing the .tdx project file and its .tdf folder to a thumb drive or external hard drive
- You can also connect the tablet to Wi-Fi and transfer the data to a cloud service or email
6.) After transferring your data to your local hard drive on your PC or Laptop where Trimble Realworks is installed, open the software.
- After the software has opened navigate to the HOME tab.
- Next, click on the IMPORT button on the left side of the ribbon and select OPEN on the drop-down menu.
7. Now, navigate to the TDX project folder. Double click the folder and select the .tdx project file and click OPEN.
8.) You will receive an INFORMATION pop-up letting you know that you need to create a Realworks project before you can import the data. Click OK on the pop-up.
9.) You will now be able to create a new Realworks project. In the SAVE dialog box that opens navigate to where you would like to save the project, give the project a name and click the SAVE button.
10.) After the project is saved the TDX Processing menu will pop-up
- On this menu, you will have a couple of options to consider.
- The first option is sampling. This is essentially putting visualization to your point cloud. Without visualizing the points you will just see a blank screen. You have three options here:
–> Sampling by Step – This allows you to specify the number points you want to visualize the “1” being 100% of the points.
–> Spatial Sampling – Allows you to visual points by spacing. Meaning that it will help visualize a point at everything distance that you specify.
–> Generate a Preview Scan – This will visualize about 20% of the points in your point cloud
- For the TDX import we recommend using the Generate a Preview Scan. Doing this will take less time for the import process to finish. We will resample our point cloud after it has imported.
11.) Next, you have the option to create JPEG files from the images that were taken from the scan project if images were taken. To do this, simply click the “Export Panorama Images as a JPEG File” option.
- Now click START at the bottom of the dialog box.
- You will now see the TDX Processing dialog box change to show the Progress and Completion for each scan station and imagery.
- Once the processing has completed a Batch Output folder will pop up showing the exported images.
12.) You can now minimize or close the Batch Output folder and click the CLOSE button at the bottom of the TDX Processing dialog box.
13.) Your point cloud should now be showing. Keep in mind that you are only visualizing 20% of your point cloud.
- Your last step is to visualize a higher percentage of your point cloud.
- To do this select your project in the Workspace on the left.
- Next, navigate to the HOME tab and select “Create Sampled Scans“
14.) On the Sampled Scan Creation dialog box you will again select how you want to resample your point cloud.
- You can do this either by Step (visualizing by points) or Spatial (visualizing by distance).
- In this case, we will visualize by step. In this dropdown menu, choose “Sampling by Step.”
15.) After selecting by Step enter a number to visualize an estimated number of points determined by that number.
- If you enter “1” that will always be 100% of your point cloud. If you increase that number you will see the estimated number of points decrease at the bottom of the dialog box. This gives an estimated number of points in your overall point cloud that the software will visualize.
- In this case, set the number to “1” and click OK.
16.) You will now see the progress bar at the bottom left of the Realworks software. Once this finishes, you will be ready to swap over the PRODUCTION tab to set to begin the clean-up process and to work with the modeling and analytical tools in the Realworks.
To get a more in-depth look at this process and other processes and tools within Realworks, reach out to your local BuildingPoint SouthEast rep to get pricing and set up training.